Visualization researchers need to develop and adapt to today’s new devices and tomorrow’s interface technology. Today, people interact with visual depictions mainly through a mouse and, gradually, by touch. Tomorrow, they will be touching, grasping, feeling, hearing, smelling, and even tasting data.
This theme explores the concept of Immersive, multisensory, post-WIMP visualization and investigates how information visualization can employ different display and presentation technologies, such as head-mounted displays, projection systems, wearables, tabletop displays and haptic interfaces.
For more info contact Dr Panagiotis Ritsos, here.
Collaborators (in various publications): Bangor University, University of Maryland - College Park, Edinburgh Napier University, University of Applied Sciences and Arts Northwestern Switzerland College Park, University of Chester
- P. D. Ritsos, J. Mearman, J. R. Jackson, and J. C. Roberts, “Synthetic Visualizations in Web-based Mixed Reality,” in Immersive Analytics: Exploring Future Visualization and Interaction Technologies for Data Analytics Workshop, IEEE Conference on Visualization (VIS), October 1-6, Phoenix, Arizona, USA, 2017, 2017. [bib]
- P. W. Butcher and P. D. Ritsos, “Building Immersive Data Visualisations for the Web,” in Proceedings of Cyberworlds, CW 2017, Chester, UK, 2017, (To appear), pp. xx-xx. [bib]
- P. D. Ritsos, J. Mearman, J. Jackson, and J. C. Roberts, “Web-based Immersive Analytics in Handheld Augmented Reality,” in Posters presented at the IEEE Conference on Visualization (VIS), October 1-6, Phoenix, Arizona, USA, 2017, (To be presented). [bib]
- P. W. S. Butcher, J. C. Roberts, and P. D. Ritsos, “Immersive Analytics with WebVR and Google Cardboard,” in Posters presented at the IEEE Conference on Visualization (IEEE VIS 2016), Baltimore, MD, USA, 2016. [bib]
- J. C. Roberts, P. D. Ritsos, S. K. Badam, D. Brodbeck, J. Kennedy, and N. Elmqvist, “Visualization beyond the Desktop–the Next Big Thing,” IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications, vol. 34, no. 6, pp. 26–34, Nov. 2014. [bib]
- S. A. Panëels, P. D. Ritsos, P. J. Rodgers, and J. C. Roberts, “Prototyping 3D haptic data visualizations ,” Computers & Graphics , vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 179–192, 2013. [bib]
- P. D. Ritsos, J. W. Mearman, A. Vande Moere, and J. C. Roberts, “Sewn with Ariadne’s Thread - Visualizations for Wearable & Ubiquitous Computing,” in Death of the Desktop Workshop, IEEE Conference on Visualization, Paris, France, 2014. [bib]
- J. C. Roberts, J. W. Mearman, and P. D. Ritsos, “The desktop is dead, long live the desktop! – Towards a multisensory desktop for visualization,” in Death of the Desktop Workshop, IEEE Conference on Visualization, Paris, France, 2014. [bib]